Ashland Labor Day Tango Grape-Escape
Fri-Sun, Sept 4-6, 2009
[Click here for complete [Festival Index] with links to Schedule, Registration & Price, Hotels & B&Bs, etc.
New Festival Concept!
Last year's Tango Grape-Escape (held in Ashland, Oregon Aug 7-10, 2008) was a huge success. The event consisted of classes, wine tours, milongas, performances and even a tango parade. (See Homer & Cristina and Rebecca & Dani for two of the performances.) This year, we're making a few changes that we think will make it even more enjoyable and truly unique.
First of all, dates are changed to correspond to the Labor Day weekend (Fri-Sun, Sept 4-6). Second, the emphasis will be on creating a more relaxed and friendly setting in which dancers and instructors feel free to commune with one another. Thus there will be no classes. "What!" you say. "No classes!". That's right, no classes--instead each day there will be a two-hour structured/guided practica with over a dozen instructors (see list below) available for you to consult with, ask questions of, and/or book a private with. (Click here for schedule.) Immediately following each practica individual 30-minute lessons for $30 will be available with an instructor of your choice.
In addition, there will be our usual mix of traditional milongas, alternative milongas, all-night milongas, wine tours, and the ever-popular tango parade--all at an incredibly affordable price. (Click here for registration & price.) We feel this structure will encourage the cozy family like atmosphere that dancers have come to know and love best about our Ashland Festivals.
Ashland, OR (pop 22,000) [back to index]
Located in the Rogue River valley at the foot of theSiskiyou and Cascade mountain range, Ashland is home to the famed Oregon Shakespeare Festival and is populated with quaint shops,fabulous restaurants, superb hotels, and romantic B&Bs. Furthermore, a mere 20 minute away, is the historic old gold mining town of Jacksonville (pop. 2200)--entrance to the Applegate Valley Wine Country and home to the famous Britt Festival, featuring world class entertainment.
Instructors [back to index]
Thus far the following instructors are signed up and ready to participate in this unique festival:
- Joe Leonardo (Portland) email
- Luiza Paes (Brazil) email
- Jennifer Olson (Seattle) email
- Jay Rabe (Portland) email
- Patricia Milillo (Buenos Aires) email
- Megan Pingree (Portland) email
- J Abling (Portland) email
- Matthew Schwartzberg (Portland) email
- Bill Alsup (Portland ) email
- Dianne Castro (Miami) email
- Raul Cabral (Buenos Aires) email
- Sean & Charity (San Francisco) email
- Camilo & Lynn (Denver) email
- Andrew & Andrea (Eugene) email
- Santiago & Amy (Buenos Aires/San Francisco) email
- et al (If you have a suggestion for an instructor, please let us know.)
Private lessons: [back to index]
Two opportunities for taking private lessons will be available. First of all, 30-minute individual lessons (for $30) will be available with an instructor of your choice immediatly following each day's supervised practica and in the same room. You may book one of these lessons now by contacting Heather--(Click to see current openings), or you can sign-up during the practicas.
Secondly, you may wish to book an extended private at some other time, location, and price. To do so, click on "email" next to your desired instructor above and arrange an agreeable price and time that does not conflict with the guided practicas.
DJ's [back to index]
- J Abling (Portland)
- Bill Alsup (Portland)
- Joe Leonardo (Portland)
- Peter Esser (Portland/Buenos Aires)
- Sean Dockery (San Francisco)
- Mike McCarrel (Portland)
- Jeanine VanSise (Eugene)
- el al
Wine Tours (Winery map) [back to index]
Nestled amid the scenic rolling hills of the Rogue River Valley and not more than twenty minutes from downtown Ashland are located seven award-winning wineries--Paschals, Trium, Wiesingers, Edenvale, Roxyann, Grizzly Peak and Ashland Vineyard. (Click here for a map.) To provide you an opportunity for tasting these exceptional wines and experience the beautiful estates of these Southern Oregon wineries, two optional wine tours have been planned. (see schedule) The first, on Saturday afternoon, will visit Edenvale and Paschals. The second tour, begins late afternoon Sunday at 4:00pm with a brief stop at Wiesingers, followed by an outdoor milonga (5:00pm) on Trium's patio overlooking the Rogue Valley. For your convience, shuttle vans will be available for both of these wine tours--or you may choose to drive yourself.
Festival Venues (City Map): [back to index]
- Ashley's Studio, 4th & B Street
- Inner Child Cafe, 310 Oak St
- Community Center & Pioneer Hall, 59 Winburn Way
- The Grove, 1195 E Main
Driving and/or Getting a Ride to Ashland [back to index]
A blog has been created to help drivers and riders connect with one another. Please check out this blog to see if there are offers or request that meet your need. If not, post your own blog by following the instructions given there.
Also, Shaun Engleman has created a rideshare program from the Bay Area Cost is only $40/person one-way and $70/person round-trip. Click on link below for schedule.
Flying to Ashland: [back to index]
- Nearest commercial airport (serviced by United, Horizon, Delta, and America West) is the Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport (MFR) in Medford, OR, 14 miles north of Ashland. Other nearby cities which you could fly to and then drive through beautiful scenic mountains are:
- Redding, OR (136 miles south)
- Eugene, OR (180 miles north)
- Sacramento, CA (295 miles south)
- Portland, OR (286 miles north)
- Reno, NV (290 miles southeast)
- San Francisco, CA (349 miles south)
For additional information about travel, transportation, weather, maps, restaurants, hotels, B&B, vacation homes, shops, and other attractions, visit the Oregon Shakespeare Festival web site.
Hotels and B&B's (City Map): [back to index]
- As You Like It Guest-room. Spacious and clean. Owner provides fresh baked biscotti, Dagoba chocolate, organic coffee and teas, and a warm comfortable bed with lovely sheets. (541) 488-0499
- Ashland Commons. Patio with view, off-street parking, cable TV, laundry, wireless. $25/night per person-shared room. $35-$45/night per person private room. (541) 482-6753, cell: (541) 292-4484.
- Ashland Hostel. 150 N Main. 5-minute walk to downtown. $28/night for dorm rooms and $36/night for private room. (541) 482-9217
- Ashland Motel. Outdoor pool. Close to grocery store. 1145 Siskiyou Blvd. 1.5 miles (drive or walk) to downtown.
- Ashland Springs Hotel. 212 E Main. Historic elegance in the heart of downtown Ashland and only a few blocks from festival classes. $99-$159/night. (541) 488-1700
- Callahans, 7100 Old Highway 99 South. Luxurious mountain lodge located 15 minutes from downtown offers rooms with Jacuzzi tubs, wood-burning fireplace, and adjoining terraces. 800-286-0507 or 541-482-1299.
- Cederwood Inn Motel. 1801 Siskiyou Blvd. 1.5 miles (drive or walk) to downtown. Ask for Tango Fest Rate. (541) 488-2000.
- Columbia Hotel. 262 1/2 East Main St. Located in the heart of downtown Ashland, this is a small friendly hotel with traditional European style of innkeeping . (541) 482-3726.
- EconoLodge of Ashland, 50 Lowe Road. Just off I-5 and about 10-minute drive to downtown and/or wineries. Free WiFi and breakfast. $71/double. (541) 482-4700
- Jackson Wellsprings, 30 acre hot spring spa with tent camping, teepee rentals and R.V. sites with hook ups. $15-$25/night. (541) 482-3776.
- La Quinta Inn & Suits, 434 S Valley View Road. Just off I-5 and about 10-minute drive to downtown and/or wineries. Free WiFi and breakfast. $132/Double. Ask for Tango Fest Rate. (541) 482-6932.
- Lotus Springs Guest Loft. Newly renovated loft 15 minute walk from downtown with 2 bedrooms, full bath, living room, breakfast bar, dining area and a fully-equipped kitchen. Sleeps 6 people. Two day minimum. (541) 488-5253
- The Palm.
Attractive renovated 1940s motor-court with pool and award-winning
gardens located across from the university. 1.4 miles to downtown. 541-482-2636
- Peerless Hotel, 243 4th St. Luxurious guest rooms with antique furnishings and hand painted motifs in restored 1900's boarding house. Located a few blocks from festival headquarters. (541) 482-1082.
- SchoolHouse Retreat and Cultural Center in Talent. 10 minute drive from Ashland. Five bedrooms and small dance floor for practicing. $110 single, $135 double includes continental breakfast. Two day minimum. email or phone (541) 535-6350.
- SOU Dorm Rooms, 2 twin beds at $46/nite for two available for Sept 4-6 only. Men & women on separate floors. Reservations/payment must be made to Clay by Aug 27, 2009, (sorry, no refund for cancellation after Aug 27.)
Guest Housing: [back to index]
Two blogs have been created to help Ashland guests and residences connect with one another (see links below). Please go to the appropriate blog to see if there are offers or requests that meet your need. If not, post your own request or offer by following the instructions given there.